Friday, July 20, 2012

Giant Pumpkin 2012

I think autumn is the most magical time of year.  Leaves change to brilliant hues of red, yellow and orange. The air gets crisp. Afternoons are spent enjoying things like apple cider and pumpkin pie.  And of course, I can't forget Halloween. I know in July it may seem a bit early to be thinking about Halloween, but for giant pumpkin growers this is prime pumpkin growing season.

I've been photographing a giant pumpkin grower's patch for the last few years, and each visit to the pumpkin patch is amazing. The pumpkins grow so fast, it  is incredible to see.  Last year, I got to babysit the giant pumpkins, and although I was nervous, it was the coolest experience.

Yesterday, was my first shoot with this year's giant pumpkin.  The plant needed to grow a giant pumpkin is HUGE.  The leaves look like elephant ears.



This pumpkin is 20 days old, and he already weighs in at 140 pounds.  He can gain 20 pounds in a day!


As he grows, he will turn more orange.  He comes from a line of brilliant orange giant pumpkins.  He hasn't been named yet (all giant pumpkins in this pumpkin patch are given names---so if you have a suggestion, leave it in the comments and I will share it with the pumpkin grower).


In addition to giant pumpkins, there's a hanging gourd plant.  These are so wild. Last year's grew to over 8 feet.  They look like a giant baseball bat.  This little guy when he starts to grow, can grow up to a foot a day.


Pumpkin and gourd plants are strong. These little tendrils grab onto the fence, wrap themselves around and won't let go.



The frame for the hanging gourd is 12 feet tall!!! I will be sure to post more photos as a giant gourd hangs from that frame.


No comments:

Post a Comment