Friday, September 7, 2012

the remains of a Mansion

On our first visit to Portland, we knew we wanted to see the remains of Goddard Mansion.  I wasn't expecting there to be much left...maybe some corner stones, perhaps a fireplace.  I would have been thrilled to see just that, as I think any remains are beautiful.  We followed the path to the mansion and were surprised when we saw this beauty in front of us.


The mansion was built in the 1850s.  It was the home of Colonel John Goddard and his family who lived here until the late 1800s. 


Of course, the windows are my favorite part.


In 1898, the US Army aquired the mansion.  It was turned into housing for married enlisted service men and their families who were stationed at Fort Williams.


I just loved the stairs to nowhere.


We continued on to visit the Fort.


This was my favorite photo from the Fort.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment